Apple iPads, iPhones and Apps
Check out this information about iPads, iPhones and Apps.
Please note: the text in blue is a link!
Just click on these links to access information.
Our next Tablet Group Meeting is on Monday 25th June @ 9.30am.
See below for links to interesting videos (in red)!
You need to be a Facebook member to view our Euroscug Facebook page.
Talk to us if you need some advice.
Thinking about using Facebook but don’t know where to begin?
These links may be of help:
- Create a Facebook Account
- Facebook Basics Tutorial for Beginners & Seniors
- Learn Facebook Easy Video Tutorial 101 How to Basics – Simplified Simple Beginners & Dummies
- Facebook for Seniors
- Guide Facebook’s Privacy Basics
Powerful assistive features are built into iPad to complement your vision, hearing, motor skills, learning, and literacy.
How to Use Voice Dictation on the iPhone and iPad
Instantly convert speech to text when using Notes, Pages and Safari – look for the microphone in the keyboard!
- Tap the microphone button on the device’s on-screen keyboard. This tells the iPhone or iPad that you want to start dictating.
- Talk. The device will listen to your voice and turn it into text as you talk.
- Tap the “Done” button that appears onscreen to stop dictating. It may take a few seconds to turn the last words into text on the screen. Be sure to read it over. Voice dictation isn’t perfect, so you may need to make a few adjustments using the keyboard.
How to Add Touchscreen Home Button on iPhone, iPad
- Open Settings.
- Go to General > Accessibility
- Scroll down to the section labeled INTERACTION and tap on AssistiveTouch.
- On the next screen, toggle AssistiveTouch to the green On position.
- A white circle with a grey box will appear on screen. Tap this circle to expand it to a big box on screen. The square Home button at the bottom of the box functions exactly like the physical home button – you can use it to single tap, double tap, or long press the home button even if there is a hardware problem. The grey box remains visible and usable in all apps.
Learning about iPads, iPhones and apps on YouTube
Please note: there is often an advertisement before the video begins.
Sometimes you can click on skip this add after a few seconds – see bottom right corner for this option.
The first 3 YouTube videos are very informative!
- This is a fabulous video! https://youtu.be/r3F7AVeCG8k
- The Versatile iPad Pro – Part 1, Preparing to Be Productive
- The Versatile iPad Pro – Part 2, Taking Notes – Replace Paper and Pen
- The Versatile iPad Pro – Part 3, Word Processing
- Google Photos Tutorial 2016
- Beginner’s Guide to Google Maps 2017 Tutorial
- Using Snapseed for editing photos
- Pixlr Editor 2017 Tutorial
- Beginner’s Guide to Google Search Basics and Tips and Tricks
- Google SketchUp Basics Tutorial 2016
- iPhone 6 – Complete Beginners Guide
- 13 iPhone Settings You Should Change Now!
Some more interesting YouTube videos:
- A Guided Tour of the iPad
- 50+ Tips and Tricks for the iPad Pro
- 5 of the best iPad Pro apps
- Apple Pencil: A Guided Tour
- iMovie on iPad 2017 Tutorial
- How to Delete Photos From Your iPad
Update to iOS 11 – Click on the blue links
iOS 11 makes your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch more powerful, personal, and intelligent than ever before. Here’s how to update – https://support.apple.com/en-au/ios/update
- New to the iPad? Text version
- Apple Support – Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- iOS 11 – Files App Text version
- Files App – Youtube
- iOS 11 – New iPad Features
- iOS 11 – Interface & Control Centre
- iOS 11 – Camera App
- iOS 11 – Screenshot
- The Notes app – an extremely useful app – Create a checklist, format a note, add an attachment, add a photo or video or scan a document in Notes!
- Using the Apple Pencil
- How to use Apple Pencil on iPad Pro 2017
- How to do even more with iPad and iOS 11.
- Share and work on files with your friends
- My top IOS 11 features for the iPad and iPad Pro
Do you want to transfer photos between devices?
Designed to be the perfect companion for your iPhone, the iXpand Flash Drive offers an easy way to free up space on your iPhone, automatically backs up your camera roll, and even lets you watch popular-format videos straight from the drive4. The drive has both a flexible Lightning connector that works with most cases and a USB 3.0 connector to plug into your Mac computer or PC so you can easily move your stuff where you want it.
- SanDisk – iXpand 64GB USB 3.0/Lightning Flash Drive Unboxing and Review
- SanDisk iXpand Review | English | NewGadgets.
Best free iPad Apps – gizmo’s site
Must Have Apps for Your Phone
Emergency + Smartphone App
The Emergency+ app is a free app developed by Australia’s emergency services and their Government and industry partners.
The app uses GPS functionality built into smart phones to help a Triple Zero (000) caller provide critical location details required to mobilise emergency services
Australia’s Triple Zero Awareness Working Group has developed a smartphone app for iOS, Android and Windows devices to:
- provide the caller with information about when to call Triple Zero
- provide the caller with information about who to call in various non-emergency situations
- State Emergency Service (SES) (132 500)
- Police Assistance Line (131 444)
- Crime Stoppers (1800 333 000)
- Health Direct Australia (1800 022 222)
- National Relay Service
- assist the caller to dial the relevant number
- display the GPS coordinates of the phone’s location that the caller can read out to the emergency operator.
First Aid App
The Australian Red Cross First Aid App is a free, comprehensive pocket guide to first aid and CPR, giving you access to the most up to date First Aid information anytime, anywhere.
- Use the interactive quizzes on the App to refresh your first aid knowledge learnt at a Red Cross firstaid training course.
- Instructions are clear and easy to use with helpful videos and images.
- Over 300,000 downloads in Australia.
Download app today. It’s free!
Set up your Medical ID in the Health app on your iPhone
More Interesting Apps to Install
Find out what’s in the packaged food you’re eating and help make healthier choices for you and your family. Get immediate, easy-to-understand information about packaged food products as well as a list of similar foods that are healthier choices.
- Scan – Use the autofocus camera on a supported smartphone or tablet to scan a packaged food’s barcode to get easy-to-understand nutritional information.
View results as either traffic-light style or Health Star Rating (HSR) labels. Both modes deliver results for energy, saturated fat, sugar, and salt so you can see at a glance how healthy the food item is.
If you’re in GlutenSwitch mode, you’ll also get an indication of whether the scanned food product contains gluten or not.
- How FoodSwitch works – FoodSwitch comes with handy filters to suit different health needs.
If you’re using the SaltSwitch, EnergySwitch, FatSwitch or SugarSwitch filters, the healthier choices listed must also have a lower amount of the relevant nutrient (salt, kilojoules, saturated fat, and total sugar respectively) than the product you scanned.
- Switch – When you scan a food product you’ll also get a list of healthier choices you can switch to.
FrogID – The Australian Museum
Just recently released this is a national citizen science project that is helping us learn more about what is happening to Australia’s frogs. All around the country, people are recording frog calls with nothing more than a smartphone. Discover more about this ground-breaking project and sign up to get involved.
Fuel Check App
FuelCheck is an online tool providing real-time fuel price information covering every service station across NSW.
FuelCheck enables NSW motorists to:
- Find the cheapest fuel being sold anywhere in NSW
- Get directions to any service station in NSW
- Search for fuel by type (E10, Regular, LPG, etc) or brand
- Submit a complaint to NSW Fair Trading if the price at the pump doesn’t match what is shown on FuelCheck.
In addition to being available as a website at www.fuelcheck.nsw.gov.au. The app version includes all of the popular website functions with multiple new features including a Favourite Station function where you can set up alerts for when your preferred fuel drops below a certain threshold at your favourite service station. The My Trip feature helps you locate the cheapest fuel along the route of your frequent or longer journeys.
Field Guide to NSW Fauna
Explore and identify the unique and diverse fauna of NSW with a free app developed by the Australian Museum. It is one of a suite of apps produced by museums for every State and Territory in Australia.
Field Guide to NSW Fauna is a valuable tool for anyone with an interest in wildlife. Use it in urban, bush and coastal environments to learn more about the animals around you. This FREE mobile app is the most comprehensive guide to NSW wildlife available with more than 1000 species including birds, mammals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, spiders, crustaceans and insects.
- Browse over 1000 species including birds, mammals, fishes, amphibians, reptiles, insects, arachnids and more.
- Discover detailed species descriptions including conservation statuses
- See stunning images of every species
- View maps of recorded observations