Android Tablets, Phones and Apps
Check out this information about tablets, phones and apps.
You need to be a Facebook member to view our Facebook page.
Talk to us if you need some advice.
Thinking about using Facebook but don’t know where to begin?
These links may be of help:
- Create a Facebook Account
- Facebook Basics Tutorial for Beginners & Seniors
- Learn Facebook Easy Video Tutorial 101 How to Basics – Simplified Simple Beginners & Dummies Guide Facebook’s Privacy Basics
- Facebook for Seniors
Learning about Tablets, Phones and Apps on YouTube
Here are just a few of the thousands of tutorials available on YouTube. If your tablet isn’t featured here, have a search on YouTube for your model!
Please note: there is often an advertisement before the video begins.
Sometimes you can click on skip this add after a few seconds – see bottom right corner for this option.
- Google Photos Tutorial 2016
- Beginner’s Guide to Google Maps 2017 Tutorial
- Pixlr Editor 2017 Tutorial
- Beginner’s Guide to Google Search Basics and Tips and Tricks
- Google SketchUp Basics Tutorial 2016
Android tablets – View these interesting sites:
- 50+ Tips and Tricks for Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7″
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 & 9.7 Tips and Tricks
- 10 Hidden Features of the Galaxy Tab S2 You Don’t Know About
Take and Edit Photos on Smartphones and Tablets
For many of us, smartphones have even become our main camera, making photo quality a priority when selecting a smartphone. Before taking photos:
- Keep your camera still by steadying your elbows on something solid.
- Make sure the lens is clean.
- Tap on the part of the image you want in focus.
- Grid: The iPhone can display a rule of thirds grid on the screen to help you compose your photo.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): This mode helps you capture more detail in the shadows and highlights of your photos.
- Flash: Many smartphones have a flash to help you take low-light photos.
- Front-facing camera: This allows you to take a photo of yourself or to use Skype, since you can see the screen while you’re taking the photo.
- On your android phone – https://www.howtogeek.com/214508/how-to-crop-and-edit-photos-on-your-phone-with-no-additional-software
- How to Crop and edit Photos on Android – https://www.howtogeek.com/214508/how-to-crop-and-edit-photos-on-your-phone-with-no- additional-software/
- Best photo-editing apps in 2016 – http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-photo-editing-apps-in-2016-1329512
- 12 Best Free Photo Editing Apps for Android – http://www.techaxio.com/2016/09/top-best-free-photo-editor-apps-apk-for-android.html
Using the Cloud & Backing up
- Set up a cloud drive on your tablet or smartphone
- Backing up your Android device to a SanDisk Dual USB Drive using the new SanDisk Memory Zone app.
- All new SanDisk Memory Zone 3.0
Back up your Samsung Galaxy device /transfer your photos or iTunes data (such as your music) to your Samsung tablet or phone.
Back up your Samsung Galaxy device to your Mac or PC using the desktop version of Samsung Smart Switch. This tool allows you to backup your phones: Apps, Contacts, Calendar, Messages, Photos, Videos, Home Screen, Music, Notes and more! Once you have everything backed up you can Restore your data to a new Samsung Device.
- Samsung Note 8 Smart Switch Mac or PC Backup & Transfer – YouTube video
Some Interesting Apps
Find out what’s in the packaged food you’re eating and help make healthier choices for you and your family. Get immediate, easy-to-understand information about packaged food products as well as a list of similar foods that are healthier choices.
- Scan – Use the autofocus camera on a supported smartphone or tablet to scan a packaged food’s barcode to get easy-to-understand nutritional information.
View results as either traffic-light style or Health Star Rating (HSR) labels. Both modes deliver results for energy, saturated fat, sugar, and salt so you can see at a glance how healthy the food item is.
If you’re in GlutenSwitch mode, you’ll also get an indication of whether the scanned food product contains gluten or not.
- How FoodSwitch works – FoodSwitch comes with handy filters to suit different health needs.
If you’re using the SaltSwitch, EnergySwitch, FatSwitch or SugarSwitch filters, the healthier choices listed must also have a lower amount of the relevant nutrient (salt, kilojoules, saturated fat, and total sugar respectively) than the product you scanned.
- Switch – When you scan a food product you’ll also get a list of healthier choices you can switch to.
FrogID – The Australian Museum
Just recently released this is a national citizen science project that is helping us learn more about what is happening to Australia’s frogs. All around the country, people are recording frog calls with nothing more than a smartphone.
For further information see the website: https://www.frogid.net.au/
The website is a great resource for information about frogs!
Create a group to contribute to FrogID. A great school holiday activity!
Fuelio – A Fuel Management App
Android only. Click here to download
Fuelio is simple, easy to use android application to track your kilometres, fuel consumption and fuel costs. Using this App you can track car expenses, auto service, your fill-ups, fuel consumption, car´s distances, gas costs and produce reports between selected dates. So quick and easy!
Fuel Check App
FuelCheck is an online tool providing real-time fuel price information covering every service station across NSW. FuelCheck enables NSW motorists to:
- Find the cheapest fuel being sold anywhere in NSW
- Get directions to any service station in NSW
- Search for fuel by type (E10, Regular, LPG, etc) or brand
- Submit a complaint to NSW Fair Trading if the price at the pump doesn’t match what is shown on FuelCheck.
In addition to being available as a website at www.fuelcheck.nsw.gov.au. The app version includes all of the popular website functions with multiple new features including a Favourite Station function where you can set up alerts for when your preferred fuel drops below a certain threshold at your favourite service station. The My Trip feature helps you locate the cheapest fuel along the route of your frequent or longer journeys.
Field Guide to NSW Fauna
Explore and identify the unique and diverse fauna of NSW with a free app developed by the Australian Museum. It is one of a suite of apps produced by museums for every State and Territory in Australia.
Field Guide to NSW Fauna is a valuable tool for anyone with an interest in wildlife. Use it in urban, bush and coastal environments to learn more about the animals around you. This FREE mobile app is the most comprehensive guide to NSW wildlife available with more than 1000 species including birds, mammals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, spiders, crustaceans and insects.
- Browse over 1000 species including birds, mammals, fishes, amphibians, reptiles, insects, arachnids and more.
- Discover detailed species descriptions including conservation statuses
- See stunning images of every species
- View maps of recorded observations